Saturday, August 11, 2012

N 36° 22.082ʹ E 131° 43.483ʹ; 04.08.12


I watched Whale Rider again last night, my final night at sea.  The film was still on my computer from having viewed it as part of the Authentic Leadership course I took at Naropa University last spring, so it became the Super Cargo version of Friday night flicks.

Before settling in for a movie, I went for a swim.  No, that’s not right: the indoor pool aboard the Hanjin Boston is a small square too short in either direction to allow for swimming strokes.  In gliding across a few times I was surprised at the bouyancy provided by the salty seawater, the surface as still as a bathtub’s.  I turned over and lay on my back and, arms outstretched, found that I could float high atop the water, resting, as it were, on the Sea of Japan.

I took a soft focus on the ceiling above, dull gray and dancing with fluid reflections, and I began to meditate.  Floating meditation, a new technique.  Thinking…  Eyes closed of their own accord…  If the water were just a few degrees warmer, this thing would make an excellent sensory deprivation tank.  Thinking…  Those sessions in the tanks at Altered States in West L.A.—or was it West Hollywood?  Thinking…  My God … must be 29 years now.  Thinking…  Kitaro flowing through headphones, sublime; tears resalting the brine.  Thinking…

So it was in this state of mind that I watched pretty Paikea best the boys and recover their whaletooth amulet from deep beneath the ocean waves.  Tears flowed once more as she rode that great whale out to sea, calm and unafraid, before letting go.

It was no surprise, then, when I read this morning’s Tao:

Hence, only he who is willing to give his body for the
    sake of the world is fit to be entrusted with the world.
Only he who can do it with love is worthy of being the
    steward of the world.

Dr. Wu simply got the pronoun wrong.

We need a new translation.


No comments:

Post a Comment