Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Great Temples of Nara


When I stepped off the train shortly after ten o'clock on a beautiful Sunday morning in Nara, I was immediately accosted by a woman handing out pamphlets for a walking tour of three of Nara's famous temples. I dug out my scribbled notes and showed her how I had planned to visit all six of the Great Temples. With a degree of incredulity she suggested I speak with somebody at the Nara Tourist Information Office and said I could still join her tour at 10:15 if I wished.

The woman behind glass at the Information Office spoke very good English and quickly understood exactly what I was trying to do.  When she noted that I was saving Todai-ji for last she said with a tone of pessimism, "Todai-ji closes at 5:00...."  I said, "Well, I'd better get hoofin' then!"  She gave me a map showing all the temples and suggested that I change my route to take advantage of a couple of bus and train routes along the way, but there would still be plenty of hiking in between.  I thanked her and hit the trail.


10:45, Daian-ji


In Japan, if there's room for grass, there's room for rice; otherwise, it's artful topiary.


11:33, Yakushi-ji


I've also eaten in restaurants that offer an ara carte menu, but rast order is at 4:30.


12:14, Saidai-ji


A colorful festival in progress at the Nara Prefectural Office.


13:09, Kohfuku-ji


Crowds of people out enjoying the sunshine and spirit of Sarusawa-ike Pond


13:33, Gango-ji


Nara's famous deer tolerate the tourists fairly well.


14:19, Todai-ji


When I got back to the Nara JR Station around 3:30, the woman in the Tourist Information Office recognized me, smiled and waved.  "Arigatou gozaimasu!" I called out to her with a bow, holding up six fingers.  "I couldn't have done it without your help on the route!"



No comments:

Post a Comment